The plumbing system consists of up to 15 % of your entire home. That is why it is important to invest in a correctly installed and smoothly functioning plumbing system. Such a plumbing system gives you access to safe, clean water right from your faucet. Other benefits of a well-functioning plumbing system include:
- Freshwater that is vital for good health and proper hygiene
- Convenient and comfortable living environment
- Conserves more water and energy
Your everyday life largely depends on your plumbing system, which includes your daily chores and other tasks. You can make use of our Online Plumbing Inspections Course if you are interested in learning how to inspect your plumbing system.
A good plumbing system is every homeowner’s investment. Protecting and maintaining your home plumbing system is a must if you also want to protect your entire home.
Why Is Plumbing Maintenance Important?
It is essential to have established plumbing maintenance to keep clean water flowing in and out of your home. A lot of homeowners do not pay much attention to their plumbing system until they experience inconvenience. When that happens, they are faced with serious, if not huge, plumbing problems that would take up a lot of their funds.
If you don’t want this to happen to you, consider doing regular maintenance to spot even the smallest issues that can potentially cause larger damages – and consequently, larger bills. Defective plumbing systems are not good for both your home and your pocket. A small leak can waste up to 30 gallons of water in a certain amount of time.
Home plumbing maintenance saves your pocket from huge expenses, and it also helps conserve water and energy. The maintenance should include checking for small leaks to know if there is a need for repair. The sooner you determine the problems, the sooner you can get it fixed and avoid future damages.
Here is a daily home plumbing maintenance checklist that you can use to ensure an efficiently working plumbing system in your home. Keep your drains in the kitchen and bathroom clog-free. Daily maintenance helps lessen the risk of consolidated issues through time.
Clogged kitchen or bathroom drains are one of the most common plumbing problems that homeowners face. They are not just mere problems, they also reduce the lifespan of your pipes. Unclogging your drains should be on your daily maintenance checklist.
To keep your kitchen clog-free, ensure that you follow these easy tips:
- Never pour grease or oils down the drain (e.i., cooking oils and fats. These can solidify and build up in the pipes causing the blockage.)
- Observe proper waste disposal. Do not flush down any form of food waste down the pipes.
- Run cold water for at least 15 seconds if you ever flush down solid wastes down the drain. This helps make sure that food wastes are washed down the mainline.
- Consider running your dishwasher at night to save hot water and keep good water pressure during the day.
To keep your bathroom drains fully functioning, here are tips to include in your checklist:
- To prevent hair from going down the drain, install screens over the drains to filter out any unwanted wastes.
- Lessen the use of bath oils to avoid the accumulation of gunks in the pipes.
- Observe proper waste disposal in the bathroom. Do not flush down tampons and wet wipes, even toilet papers, to avoid clogging.
- Keep a 10-minute interval between showers to keep proper water pressure and have enough hot water for the day. This tip will help prevent undesirable issues happening to your plumbing system.
- As much as possible, do not use chemical clog removal products to unclog your drains.
These products contain harmful substances that can destroy your pipes. It is an important thing to be mindful of the products that you use daily. All of these products go down the drain leaving a greasy residue that stays in your pipes, attracting more and more gunk to build up in there. The result is an undesirable clogging of your drains, faulty plumbing systems, and worse, an uncomfortable living situation.
Having a daily maintenance checklist will help keep your pipes running well while also preventing future mishaps.