Electrical fires are common accidents for both commercial spaces and residential properties. These electrical fires are so damaging that the Electrical Safety Foundation International reports that over 50,000 home electrical fires cause almost 500 deaths and more than 1,400 injuries in a year. That’s more than a billion-dollar of residential property damage.
Commercial spaces aren’t exempted. The U.S. fire Administration said that in 2017, about 8,200 fires were due to electrical issues translating to almost a $450 million loss. Electrical fires are becoming a usual occurrence, and it’s high time to take action to prevent it from happening to your property and risking not only your investments but also your family. When do electrical fires happen? How do they start?
Causes of Electrical Fires
Homes and commercial buildings rely on electricity to power daily activities. We use electricity regularly, and we can’t just assume that this system would keep operating in good condition and without risks. We must understand what causes these electrical fires to be able to prevent them.
Outdated electrical wiring
Often, old wirings cause electrical fires. Homes that are 20+ years old can’t handle all the new electrical appliances in today’s modern society. Today, most homes have multiple computers, several giant TV screens, video players, an AC system, kitchen appliances, and more. Average households have increased power load due to the addition of new appliances. Old wiring easily heats up and catches fire quickly.
Light fixtures, including light bulbs and lamps, are usual suspects for electrical fires. Some would use bulbs with too much wattage for their lamps and fixtures. It’s wise to always check the maximum wattage that your lamps can hold. You can also check the recommended bulb wattage for your lamps and fixtures. Don’t use a 100-watt bulb for your 60-watt light fixture!
Disregarding safety codes
Homes and commercial businesses must adhere to safety code standards as these are updated now and then to keep up with the increasing electricity demand. Old wires can’t support the current electrical power used in both home and commercial spaces. Replace these wires to prevent excess heat and, worse, fires.
Misuse of extension cords
Extension cords are often misused. TV, computer, game console, and phone chargers are usually found in one single extension cord. This is a significant fire hazard as it creates a power load, and these extension cords are designed to handle such an amount of power load.
In some homes, appliances are intentionally plugged into electrical cords. In truth, extension cords are created for temporary use. Machines must not be plugged into extension cords for a long time since machines are meant to be plugged directly into outlets.
Putting highly flammable objects near light fixtures
Even simple reasons such as putting clothes, papers, and other flammable objects near lampshades can cost you your family’s life. Some people would read their newspapers, magazines, and whatnot. The tendency is they put these on their lampshade table. The heat from the lampshade can ignite these materials and cause fires. Be sure to keep those papers away from your light fixtures and lamps.
Check your home and commercial space for any of these tell-tale signs for electrical fires. While accidents do happen, there’s always a higher chance of getting away with them if you make a conscious effort to prevent them from happening. Prevent electrical fires today.
You can call your local fire and rescue service to do a home fire assessment for your home. You can also reach out to us at Hero Services and let our team of professionals check out your electrical wirings and ensure that your home is safe from electrical fires.