Why Weight Loss Surgery Works When Diets Don’t

Caught In A Cycle

Another year has come and gone, and here we are looking into the face of another new year. People will make decisions at the beginning of the New Year that they will soon break, and life will continue to move. In 2019, the top three resolutions made in the U.S. were:

  1. Diet or Eat Healthier
  2. Exercise More
  3. Lose Weight

Along with being the three most resolutions made, they were the most broken as well. People have weight and health on their minds, but America is still the most overweight nation on the planet! While some people may not be disciplined enough, that is not the case for many individuals. There are a handful of conditions that can hinder a person from being successful in their weight loss journey. From type II diabetes to overactive thyroids, these issues can create frustration and fear, pushing someone to quit altogether.

Sometimes You Need More

Dieting is wonderful! There are many benefits to having a healthy diet. Your body needs specific foods to survive and thrive, but sometimes it may not be enough. Bariatric surgery, commonly called weight-loss surgery, could give you the breakthrough you have been seeking! Most of the time, when a patient is looking for medical help, it is because they have struggled with weight loss for a considerable amount of time with no success. Studies show that 96.6% of patients have success with weight loss after surgery. That leaves a mere 3.4% of people that came within 5% of their initial weight in ten years. So not only has this type of procedure shown as useful, it is sufficient for an extended period.


Would Surgery Be Considered Giving Up?

Weight-loss surgery gets labeled as a cop-out, but this could not be further from the truth. The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says, “Individuals affected by severe obesity are resistant to long-term weight-loss by diet and exercise.” Your body may not be able to respond to diet and exercise correctly, but that is no reason to put your health at risk! Surgery can give your body the help it needs to react to a healthy diet and active life in the right way. Many health benefits can come with bariatric surgery, as well!

  • Type II diabetes often is put into remission after weight loss procedures.
  • Patients see their sleep apnea cured
  • Greatly reduced cardiovascular risks
  • Blood sugar and lipid levels are often normalized.

Bariatric surgery may not be the first option that comes to your mind concerning your weight loss, but it could be the decision that saves your life.

What Should I Do?

Bariatric procedures prove time and time again to be useful, but all things come with risks. Our practice would love to assist you and walk you through any questions you may have. Allow us to help you live a longer, healthier life. Take the time to look at the types of procedures we can offer you or schedule a consultation with us here.



The post Why Weight Loss Surgery Works When Diets Don’t appeared first on Dr. Westmoreland Bariatrics Surgeon Murfeesboro TN.

Source link